Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cardigan for Mom



My mother wanted a sweater that would have to be sort of a cross between a knit sari blouse and a regular cardigan. That meant I would have to come up with the pattern myself. Ok, that’s not really the way it sounds, I mean, I’m not your seasoned knitting designer with patterns for sale. I’m just an occasional (and slow) knitter who takes forever to finish anything. So the idea of having to draw out my own pattern was kind of overwhelming.

I’m also something of a perfectionist, never satisfied with anything. So I actually took longer to make notes for this sweater than to actually knit it (even at my pace).

But the best part of this project was the yarn itself. Soft, warm, bulky, it felt so good to knit. And its bulk meant I could use my largest knitting needles and a gauge of 4 stitches per inch was one of the reasons this project even saw the light of day.

Unlike my sewing, my knitting projects often have a way of not turning out quite like the picture I had in mind and this sweater was no different. Still, I gave my mother what she wanted. This sweater is longer than a sari blouse, but well-shaped (even though you can’t see it in the picture :-)) and is half-sleeved. The only thing I’m really unhappy about is that it doesn’t fit quite as snugly as a blouse. I was so afraid of making it too small and tight that it ended up quite the opposite. Oh, well, live and learn; now I know how to do better next time. So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment