Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Crochet Before Breakfast


My work in progress

Just off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen things one can do before breakfast – useful, productive, healthy, clever or even just reasonable and customary things. You could walk, jog or exercise. Or meditate. Plan for the day. Or even actually begin the day’s work. If nothing else, you could get a cup of coffee and enjoy the morning air and bird songs.

So, do I do any of these? No, sir, I don’t! Instead, I get out my crochet and get busy. Directly I am out of my bed, I reach for my yarn basket.

Dishes in the sink beg for my attention, the floor is crying to be cleaned, breakfast needs to be fixed, oh, you know all the stuff the average household can blackmail you with. But immune to any of this I plug away with my hook and yarn. I can’t wait to see how it takes shape. It’s all I can think of. I’ve even been dreaming about it. 

But there’s one thing that has to be said for crochet early in the morning, though. As you watch your effort, your labour of love, take shape in your hands, you are sure to be suffused with a warm glow of health and satisfaction that is not very dissimilar to the one to be gained from any of the healthy morning activities listed above.

So crochet before breakfast it is! Now just please tell me you do it too!

1 comment:

  1. That is SO beautiful!! Well done - before breakfast.

    I would wash your dishes for it - as well as clean your floor and fix breakfast.
    (I don't do any of those things before breakfast for myself. A coffee and a newspaper are about my speed, while I think about what breakfast to have.)

    It looks a lot like tatting, which I have not done since I was a child.

    ReplyDelete